In the world there are about 5 thousand ticks, most of them peaceful and harmless creatures, but some can be dangerous to animals and dangerous to humans. This files most often encounter them dogs, as these movable and sociable animals that regularly happens on the street, are more likely familiar with the parasite. When the dog was bitten by a tick, the owner may not notice it, but then sees the symptoms of diseases caused by this malicious arthropods. Ticks are different – large and microscopic, but they are all equally dangerous and harmful four-legged friend, so even a single bite can not be ignored.
How dangerous ticks
A small establishment can not only cause a lot of discomfort in dogs but can also lead to serious consequences, including death.
Infected ticks would have serious consequences, namely:
- Anemia. Microscopic mites often eat skin cells and lymph, but the big ticks – hungry bloodsuckers. A single individual does not drink a lot of blood in the dog, but massive infestation may lead to anemia and even death. Anemia is especially dangerous for young puppies, debilitated dogs pregnant females.
- Infection, inflammation. Inflammation often causes not the parasite itself, and the intensive combing dog damaged areas. The animal itself brings about the scratches, enters the wound infection. With deep lesions of the skin parasites (demodectic mange) infection with superficial wounds can get into the blood stream, which can very quickly lead to death of the animal.
- Deafness, concussion. Especially dangerous are cases when mites live on the animal’s head, in his ears. The dog tries to get rid of itching, constantly itching, and even beating his head on different objects, resulting in possible brain injury and a ruptured eardrum.
- Infectious and viral diseases. Mites are not exposed to diseases, but are carriers of many diseases. Among them are Lyme disease, plague, piroplasmosis, plague, q-fever, relapsing fever, etc. Although dogs do not suffer from encephalitis, but your pet can get its owner.
Types of mites
To deal with pests, you must know how to detect them, how they look and show themselves. The mites require a special treatment, so it is important to distinguish from each other. Of course, the diagnosis needs a vet, but the owner should know the signs of infection and when it’s time to sound the alarm. The photo below shows all dangerous for dogs the types of ticks in our latitudes.
This disease is also called walking dandruff, as the dog’s body appear places with flaky skin. Causes it small mite that is transmitted from other animals or climbs on the dog’s coat from the grass. Independently in the external environment, this arthropod can live for more than a day, but this is usually enough to find a new “home”.
Dandruff in dogs can occur due to frequent washing, allergies, wrong diet, stress, etc. the hallmark of cheyletiella is hair loss on the damaged areas. If brushing on black cloth or paper, on its surface you can see small whitish dots, which are actively moving. This is a parasite.
This tick is one of the most harmless, as it damages only the outer layer of the epidermis, doesn’t drink blood or carry disease. Cure it is also quite easy – just treat the animal with acaricides and the use of special shampoo prescribed by a veterinarian. People can get mites, but they treated it just as quickly.
Another name for disease of the ear mange. It is caused by microscopic arthropod that resides on the inside of dog’s ear and feed on lymph and skin cells. The disease is quite dangerous, if it is to run. In the ear accumulates dirt and exudates, the dog gradually loses hearing, nervous, trying to scratch the ears in all ways. The dog at risk of Contracting meningitis to inflammation of the inner ear.
Discover otodektoz can the dog’s behavior and the presence of dark crusts and secretions in the ear. With these symptoms you need to contact the vet as to consider of the pathogen is possible only under a microscope. Treatment consists of regular thorough cleaning of the dog’s ears and causing antiparasitic ointments and drops. In some cases with heavy infestation requires additional means for destruction of parasite eggs.
The sarcoptic mange
This disease is better known as suneva scabies. It is caused by microscopic parasites which break through the dog’s skin moves and feed on skin cells. The infection usually comes from other dogs and cats, but sometimes arthropods can be in the grass or on the clothing of the owner. The mites are able to hide the tissue, soft objects, so you need to clean the rugs and dog toys. Treatment of dogs against ticks should be accompanied by careful cleaning of the apartment
The sarcoptic mange causes redness of the skin, slight hair loss and very severe itching. The main danger the dog poses to itself, as it can severely damage the skin and bring infection in the wound. In vetapteka sold drops from tuneboy mange, so in the early stages can cure the disease on their own. If there is no improvement in a few days, you should contact your veterinarian.
The sarcoptic mange is easily cured, but its main danger lies in the fact that the symptoms can be confused with allergic reaction and demodicosis.
Demodicosis causes microscopic mite, which is often part of the normal flora of most animals. A healthy dog tick doesn’t manifest itself, but when reduced immunity, stress, hormonal abuse, allergic reactions, malnutrition, etc, the disease begins to manifest. Tick actively multiplies, it begins to gnaw moves in the skin and poison her waste products. Most of the acne is accompanied by severe allergic reaction, papules and redness. In the affected areas begins to fall coat.
Treated disease parasitic ointments, but you first need to remove the cause that caused the activity of mites. Unfortunately, without addressing the root cause to get rid of demodectic impossible. During treatment, the dog must be given the pills to maintain the liver, not be redundant as antihistamines.
Important: do Not attempt to save his dog from the subcutaneous mites folk remedies – you can seriously harm your pet!
It is a major ticks, which can be seen with the naked eye. They differ from the previous ones because not live on the dog, and just feed on her blood. If the dog was bitten by a tick, he is in a few days I shall leave an animal by drinking its blood.
Typically the tick Ixodes when he, drunk, grows in size and begins to resemble a shiny bean. The time of the bite track often very difficult, as everything occurs painless a hungry parasite is extremely inconspicuous – its dimensions do not exceed 3 mm, and the color is dirty brown. Ixodes bream almost never transmitted between animals, they are often in the grass and heat find their “food” when hungry.
By itself, this parasite is not dangerous, one bite can’t hurt the animal. But often the saliva of the Ixodes ticks infected with various viruses that make themselves known some time after the bite. Therefore, after the detection of a sting it is necessary to go to the vet – he will prescribe the tests to see whether the dog is infected.
How to remove a tick
Upon detection of the tick Ixodes can try to remove it to alleviate the condition of the dog. This should be done very carefully because the parasite gnaws at the skin deeper and down to the head, with a sharp ejecting head can be away from the body and remain in the skin.
There are several way to remove a tick:
- Strangulation. Tick, plunging his head into the victim’s skin breathes through its pores, so you can deprive it of oxygen. To do this, the skin around the tick and he is lubricated with gasoline or oil. Skin worse is also breathable and oily substances start to get in the proboscis of the parasite, it weakens its grip, and then he gets out. If after a few minutes the tick tried to climb out, it can gently take the tweezers and try to rotate. Usually this is enough to retrieve.
- Rotation. To extract the tick using this method needed a hook that could pick up the parasite as close to the skin. After the tick is fixed by the hook, it should start to rotate clockwise, keeping the body perpendicular to the dog’s skin.
- Vet. If the experience in removing ticks is not, you should immediately contact your doctor – he’ll definitely be able to pull the parasite quickly and painlessly. Also you need to immediately take the dog to the clinic, if self-removal of the tick in the skin remained the head or trunk of arthropod. If when removing the tick was crushed, the call to the vet is necessary because the parasite probably had to produce a skin toxin.
Sorry, there are no funds that are 100% protect from ticks, but minimal security to your pet to provide. How to do it?
- Buy dog collar that repels ticks and fleas. Even if the parasite gets on the fur of an animal, for a long time, he will not remain there, as a special substance on the collar will scare him.
- From time to time apply to the withers of the animal drops from the subcutaneous mites (a single treatment per season). You can also use the special shampoos, but this is often not recommended, so as not to cause irritation on the skin of your four-legged friend.
- Do not let your dog to communicate with stray cats and dogs.
- Follow proper nutrition and General health of the pet. This will help him to avoid demodicosis.