Ringworm in cats is among the most common skin disease. Among the several types of this disease like ringworm in cats, perhaps, ranks first in frequency of occurrence. In contact with fungal spores-the causative agent into the body of a pet, under appropriate conditions the fungus begins to actively proliferate. The first visual manifestation of disease becomes hair loss in areas affected by the fungus. The photo below shows, how does ringworm in cats:
The types of lichen
Cat ringworm is divided into several varieties. The types of depriving the cats are divided into:
- Lichen planus, developing in case of insufficiency of the immune system of the animal is not contagious. It manifests itself usually in the form of occurrence of the red liquid bubbles that appear on the mucous membranes and the skin of the cats and causing animal suffering, as these rashes are accompanied by unbearable itching. However, this disease is quite polymorphic and may give a different picture. When opening the bubbles itching usually intensifies. Animals recover spontaneously with restoration of normal immune status.
Please note! If the animal suffers from immune deficiency, and the disease does not retreat, for the relief of symptoms are assigned: antiallergic, local corticosteroids and sedatives.
- Pityriasis rosea is similar to a relatively harmless viral disease. Manifested in the appearance of the pink color of the lesions up to 2 cm Spots itch, their surface is scaly. The disease resolves spontaneously when the restoration of the protective properties of the organism.
- Eczema, or as it is called – weeping versicolor – also accompanied by itching. The lesions have the appearance of reddish spots, which are characterized by the presence of inflammation and the formation of bubbles. When combing itching intensified. The disease isn’t contagious.
- Colored, or pityriasis versicolor is called in cats microscopic fungus and neosporine looks like a brownish-yellowish stain (see photo).
- Ringworm is most common and is the most contagious. Ringworm is caused by fungi Microsporum gypseum, Trichophyton, and Microsporum canis. Accordingly, the disease can carry the name “ringworm” or “microspores” (pictured below – the ear of the cat with the typical hotbed of the ringworm).
Important! Do not try on a photo to determine the type of depriving your cat, as this is not always the case, even the vet. Show pet specialist, conducted a special study, will be able to put the correct diagnosis and to appoint adequate therapy.
Symptoms of both diseases are almost identical, and in fact their treatment:
- The doctor performs a visual inspection of the animal.
- Then the vet examines the skin of a cat with a wood’s lamp in a darkened room (the affected areas will glow in UV).
- Accurate diagnosis can only be made in the lab, which the doctor takes a scraping from the affected area and examines it under a microscope.
- In complicated cases, showing bacteriological examination.
Why the animal is sick
Healthy animal, like man, subject to the proper functioning of the immune system is not ill with mycosis even in direct contact. But the question “whether the ringworm is Transmitted from animals to humans” the answer is only one – Yes, of course, transfer of infection is possible.
While a number of factors, including the weakening of the immune system that is infected with ringworm with the subsequent development of clinical disease:
- Can get sick the animal is weakened after a viral illness;
- A cat with cancer;
- An animal with diabetes and other chronic diseases;
- Old animals;
- Kittens and teenagers undergoing hormonal changes;
- Animals (especially long-haired), who lives in a hot humid climate;
- At risk are defined and artificially bred, completely domesticated breed, not able to resist infections (Persian cat, Scottish fold, exotic Shorthair, etc.).
Important! The infection can be brought to the apartment on the shoes and even outerwear. That is, of Contracting ringworm from a cat person, but cat and in turn, the infection can be passed from person to person.
But most often the disease is transmitted to the cat when:
- Direct contact with sick animals (in the game, when pairing);
- By using the same bowls, bedding, toys;
- Transmission to kittens from sick mother is also a common phenomenon;
- The disease can be transmitted by contact with an asymptomatic carrier;
- The source of infection could become, oddly enough, and the soil in which the spores can persist for two years.
In most cases, the first focus depriving the cats appears on the face, then the paws, then the process extends to the ear, underbelly, back and tail.
Its main features:
- Spots, hairless, oval or round shape;
- Inflammatory response to lesions;
- Intensive combing a cat infected;
- The appearance of crusts, greasy to the touch and looks like dandruff.
- The appearance of papules on the skin surface (not always).
Tip! If you notice that your cat behaves unusually (itches a lot), his ears, muzzle, paws appeared strange spots – this should be the reason for early visits to the clinic. The sooner you start treatment, the easier it will be.
If you ignore the symptoms of the disease at an early stage and to start timely treatment, the lesions quickly “crawl”, and the infection becoming generalized.
In addition, easily transmissible infectious agent can cause disease in humans – the owner of the infected pet. The therapy of the disease may be delayed for a long period of time, shingles will need to treat not only cats, but humans.
So the cat as soon as possible got rid of the infection, it should be seen by a specialist veterinarian. Only a doctor can know for sure how to treat ringworm in cats in each individual case. Treatment at home should be carried out with strict observance of all the recommendations of a physician.
- As a method associated action or as the main method of treatment at the initial stage of the disease the animal may be appointed as vaccination, which when dermatophytosis is healing in nature. A cat vaccinated with one of the antifungal drugs (Vacterl, Poliwag, Microderm), twice with an interval of 10 days intramuscularly introducing the vaccine in turns at each hip. Dosage is calculated individually.
- Wash the animal assigned antimycotic shampoos – Nizoral, too bad.
- Locally advanced lesions are treated in the following way:
Put on rubber gloves, a patch of baldness is treated with an antiseptic solution (e.g. Chlorhexidine), promarinuetsya dry and with the capture of healthy tissue on the seat is applied an antifungal cream or ointment lichen (often used Itraconazole, Mycosoral, Lamitan, veterinary ointment, Yam, etc.). Before processing it is recommended to remove about 1 cm of hair around the lesion by plucking. You can also use antifungal solutions (Fungin) and powder.
Treatment is done twice a day. For protection from the licking of the animal is put on a protective collar.
Tip! Don’t forget to use disposable rubber gloves!
- In case of generalized infection or deep lesions of the cat can be shown oral antifungals – Itraconazole, Terbinafine, Griseofulvin, etc.
- With the aim of lifting the animal itching appointed antihistamines – Tavegil, Suprastin, Diazolin, claritin.
- For the correction of immunity, the doctor may prescribe drugs such as Immunofan, Immunal, etc.
- To restore the intestinal flora – probiotics are used, such as Linex, Baktisubtil, Bifiform, Laktobakterin.
- To reduce the burden on the important filter the body – the liver – can be treated with medications. For example, Essentiale-Forte.
Treatment of folk remedies
To treat ringworm in cats at home folk remedies is possible, but only in consultation with a veterinarian and as a Supplement to the basic therapy.
Numerous forums animal lovers provide tips on how to cure ringworm in cats with improvised means:
- Grease – this technical fluid is applied to the skin of the animal twice a day until the disappearance of clinical symptoms.
- Coal-tar soap is used for the throttling of the animal.
- Iodine — spot once a day smeared with iodine with a cotton swab with capture healthy skin and no more than 7 days in combination with later (a few hours) applying factory antimycotic drug drug.
Important! Iodine may cause burns of the skin, so apply it very carefully.
- A solution of Brilliant green – alternating with Iodine “once again”.
If the cat is healthy, then you need to limit her contact with stray animals wander freely, avoiding between them and your pet active play.
If you experience symptoms of ringworm in cats — be sure to insulate the animal. It is clear that if you live in an urban Studio apartment, the task will not be easy.
In addition to receiving a negative analysis at the vet during therapy you will have to abide by the following rules:
- Often to vacuum all floor coverings, do not overlook soft furnishings. Compulsory disposal of the cleaner bag after cleaning.
- Horizontal and vertical surface with which the cat came in contact, rinse with water with the addition of “chlorine” several times with a break of 3-4 days.
- To remove all bedspreads from fabric from the furniture and wash them in the washing machine at 95 degrees with the addition of “chlorine” or just to boil in bowl 20 minutes. Only in this way you will destroy the fungus, as it is incredibly tenacious!
- To wet cleaning with the use of chlorine-based products all over the place.
- Change cat litter daily (and process it in the same way as fabric covers).
- To prevent high humidity in the area of main place of stay cats.
- Each year to do your cat vaccinated against zoster.
Faced with manifestations of this disease your pet or yourself, do not panic. This, though unpleasant, but harmless and always a curable disease, for which effective therapy only need to follow the recommendations of the experts.