Pityriasis and ringworm in dogs are caused by a fungal infection that enters the dog’s body spores from contaminated soil or from the skin (wool) of another animal. The disease causes damage to the skin, manifested by several symptoms, the most characteristic of which is the loss of hair in limited areas, accompanied by the formation on the skin peels. In General, this disease poses no threat to the dog’s life, however, under certain circumstances, it takes the generalized form, spreading over large areas of the skin of the animal and bringing him unbearable suffering.
Often the process joins secondary bacterial infection, further burdening the state dog.
If the dog’s immunity functioning at a physiologically normal level, even if direct contact with a carrier of the disease does not develop. Infection of susceptible animals with weakened for one reason or another the immune system.
A weak immune system are typical for the following categories of animals:
- Lactating bitches;
- Dogs receiving vitamin deficiencies and an unbalanced diet;
- Pregnant dogs;
- Animals undergoing a viral infection in the period of convalescence;
- Older animals;
- Seriously ill dogs (“distemper”, Oncology, acute pancreatitis, diabetes mellitus, etc.).
Varieties of lichen
Various types of lichen in dogs differ from each other by the nature of the infectious agent that caused the disease and, consequently, symptoms and treatment methods:
- Pink ringworm in dogs is the most secure. It is caused by a virus. You don’t even have to think about how to cure ringworm in dogs, as it passes independently for 4-6 weeks.
- Ringworm (the common name for microsporia and trichophytosis) in dogs is a very nasty fungal disease of the skin. He can in a short period to spread all over animal’s body. The first signs can be noticed easily on the skin of the animal found oval spots, reaching a diameter of 2 cm and Then in these places the skin is bald and covered with scales.
- Pityriasis versicolor — also occurs in dogs because of breeding on the skin of the animal and fungal infectious agent. The disease is most common among all types of lichen. At the initial stage on the skin appears small size pink spot with no signs of inflammatory reaction, and then the affected area becomes yellowish or brown.
- Weeping versicolor, also called eczema is inflammation of the skin allergic nature, are not contagious. Onset of the disease is characterized by the appearance of polymorphic rash, then the affected area swells. The disease is accompanied by redness, appearance of bubbles, cracks and stains pinkish or bluish colors.
- Shingles, like humans, dogs called herpes virus. Its first manifestation can be seen in the abdomen and ribs — first, the animal is tormented by the itching, dog itching and licking is actively harassing the area of skin and then itchy areas formed blisters filled with liquid. When such a bubble bursts and crusts are formed.
Tip! Do not attempt to make a diagnosis on a photo, even a specialist is not always able to do this without special diagnostic procedures.
Like a sick animal
- The most common way of transmission of ringworm from an infected animal by direct contact (for example, in the game or during mating).
- When ringworm possible latent carriers of the fungus – then the animal is not sick, but can act as a carrier in case of contact with a dog with low immune status.
- Often a dog gets sick after contact with someone else’s toys, food bowls, litter. Are not safe and leashes with collars, if your pet wore its infected counterparts.
- Fungal infection is also transmitted from mother to fetus and breast healthy puppies from an infected mother.
- In some cases, the spores of dermatophytes fall into the dog’s skin from soil, which is able to persist over long time – up to two years. But even if you are the owner of the Taco bell dog, not outside the apartment, your four-legged favorite can “catch” shingles, poteris about your outdoor shoes or clothing.
For fungal lichen forms in dogs or ringworm (these include microsporia and trichophytosis) characteristic General symptoms, in particular, localization of lesions on the face, abdomen and limbs. If the amount of fungus on the legs becomes high in the pathological process involved claws.
In the photo below you can see what it looks like in this case, ringworm in dogs:
In the future, the claw cracks, violated his integrity.
In young puppies the pockets can have a large size, completely covering the limbs and head.
The mechanism of disease development is as follows:
- The animal starts to shed intensely. Then in a limited area of skin of the animal occurs rash, confluent in spot. Itching torments the animal so that it starts to itch too active.
Tip! Itching is always an alarming symptom, indicating some pathological condition. It is not necessary to wait for deterioration of the pet’s health, it is necessary to show your dog your veterinarian.
- The spot gradually expands, the skin in that area is sealed and covered with a reddish crust falls wool. The lesion has a clear boundary.
- New foci, the primary spot may increase in size.
- The dog looks depressed, worried, not eating, stops playing.
- In severe forms of the disease associated bacterial flora, under the crust there is a suppuration.
Please note! There is an atypical form of this disease. In case of atypical course of the disease may not be any of the characteristic symptoms, e.g., redness or intense itching. However, pockets of balding at dermatofitosis occur in dogs almost always.
- At the reception, the veterinarian examines the dog visually.
- After that, it shines through the animal in a darkened room with the lamp wood. The affected skin under ultraviolet light will glow, the photo below shows how:
- To determine the type of pathogen more accurately will help the vet microscopy of scraping from mycotic lesions.
- In some cases it is also shown and bacteriological examination of the material.
Depending on what result was obtained when the diagnosis results, the doctor determines how to treat ringworm in dogs individually in each case.
Tip! If you don’t put the pet in the hospital and intend to treat ringworm in dogs at home, use rubber gloves when handling lesions and do not forget to observe precautions. The disease can be transmitted as from dogs to humans and Vice versa.
To treat ringworm should be strictly according to the prescriptions of veterinarian. Usually therapy is multifold and includes the following drugs:
- Antifungal cream or ointment lichen for dogs (for example, the drug “Pits” and aveterinary drugs from a regular pharmacy, prescribed by a doctor – Mycosoral, Lamitan, Itraconazole). Drugs local impact is aimed at elimination of the pathogen from lesions. They are also assigned in the form of sprays, lotions, talc, shampoos that contain Clotrimazole, Miconazole and other antifungal agents.
Tip! Before applying any local treatment of the drug cut the hair in the region adjacent to the patches of baldness and treat the original lesion, capturing the cropped area, an antiseptic solution, e.g. Chlorhexidine. Then Pat the skin dry and apply a basic treatment medication – as with capture of a healthy area of the skin.
- Antibacterial drugs (shown in the case of joining a secondary infection – Doxycycline, Ceftriaxone, Ampicillin, Amoxiclav, etc.).
- In the case of fungal infection as additional therapeutic drug is administered vaccine against these diseases. The drug in appropriate dose is given intramuscularly in the thigh at least twice with an interval of 10 days in different limbs. After the first introduction there may come a visual degradation of the skin of the animal. Do not be afraid, this is a normal reaction. Your doctor may prescribe one of the dog vaccines: Wandern, Poliwag or Microderm.
- In a generalized and deep lesions of the animal assigned to oral antifungal medications, the dosage which is calculated strictly by weight. Drugs of choice can be called Griseofulvin, Itraconazole, Terbinafine, and others.
In addition to specific therapies, in the course it is desirable to include:
- Probiotics to improve the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract (VAIO, Bifitrilak, Bifiform, Linex, Baktisubtil);
- Antihistamines (Tavegil, Diazolin, Suprastin);
- Drugs from the group of immunomodulators (Maximin, Ribotan, Immunofan, Immunal);
- Good nutrition with the right ratio of proteins, carbohydrates, fats and minerals;
- Medications to reduce the load on the liver;
- Vitamins (especially drugs to improve the condition of coat).
Tip! The dog could not lick applied to the skin the drug, put her special collar, which can be purchased at the drugstore or make your own.
There is an opinion that the traditional method of treatment dermatophytosis with factory preparations can be replaced folk remedies. However, how to treat ringworm in dogs – specifies a veterinarian. Therefore, the treatment at home using folk remedies should be carried out in coordination with a specialist. Most often it comes as a complement to the main appointed drugs and includes:
- treatment of the lesion with iodine for 7 days;
- treatment with Apple cider vinegar (the centers are processed daily for 5-6 R./day until the disappearance of clinical symptoms;
- treatment cranberry juice (is similar to the previous method);
- treatment with grease (1-2 times a day lesions treated with this technical fluid).
If your pet is healthy, you will need to limit his contact with stray dogs, avoiding active play, as well as in a timely manner to annually vaccinate your dog.
If you suspect the presence of ringworm from dogs it is recommended to insulate the animal. It is clear that in the urban one-bedroom apartments is almost impossible. However, to obtain a negative result in the veterinary clinic and during the course of treatment you will have:
- As often as possible to vacuum shag floor coverings and upholstered furniture with subsequent disposal of the cleaner bag.
- All surfaces, which even theoretically could touch the dog, rinse with warm water “bleach” several times during the course.
- To remove all the fabric cover and wash them with the chlorine-containing detergent, at 95 ° C or boil for 20 minutes. The only way to get rid of the fungus, it is very tenacious!
- To hold in the whole room wet cleaning with chlorine-containing agent.
- To change the animal litter daily (treat the same as the fabric covering).
- To prevent the increase of humidity in the place of detention of the animal.
- To vaccinate a pet from ringworm each year.
If your pet or you got sick this unpleasant affliction, do not despair. Treatment, of course, can be time-consuming, however, if all rules are positive result is guaranteed!